UFC Bantamweight Queen Amanda Nunes No Longer Interested in Featherweight Belt

By Tristen Critchfield Mar 16, 2017


Amanda Nunes appears to have given up on her dreams to become a two-division UFC champion.

When the promotion announced earlier this year that Germaine de Randamie and Holly Holm would square off for the inaugural women’s featherweight title at UFC 208, Nunes took to social media to call for the winner.

After de Randamie took a five-round verdict over Holm to claim the belt on Feb. 11, it seemed to set things up nicely for the reigning women’s bantamweight champion. After all, Nunes defeated de Randamie via first-round technical knockout in a 135-pound matchup at “Fight for the Troops 3” in November 2013.

However, much of Nunes’ interest in moving up a division came before Cristiane Justino was cleared by USADA of a potential anti-doping violation stemming from her use of a diuretic. Currently “Cyborg’ is free to return to the Octagon at any time. Had her sanction held up, Justino would have been facing a one-year suspension.

“I think Cris is going to come back. I think in this division she has to be the champion,” Nunes told UFC Tonight. “This division is open for her. The reason I said I want to go up is I beat Germaine de Randamie already. If Cris is going to take a long time to go come back then I want to go up to try to take the second belt. But I hear that she’s gonna come back soon, and I have no interest anymore to go up.”

Nunes claimed the 135-pound crown with a first-round submission of Miesha Tate at UFC 200 and then defended the title with a 48-second demolition of Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 on Dec. 31. She does not currently have a fight booked.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>