While it appears that the particulars of Jan Blachowicz’s next light heavyweight title defense are already set, it could be some time before the Polish champion returns to the Octagon.
After a five-round unanimous decision victory over middleweight king in the UFC 259 headliner on Saturday, Blachowicz laid out a desired timeframe for his next promotional appearance.
“[I want a] short break – minimum half-year break,” Blachowicz said. “I want to spend some time with my family. I am a father. My child was just born and I don’t spend any time with him because I have to prepare for my fight. If he wants to wait, (Glover Teixeira) will be my next opponent.”
That means the former KSW title holder wouldn’t compete again until September at the earliest. Blachowicz’s first child, Jan. Jr., was born in December, and the fighter has mostly been in camp preparing for Adesanya since then. That signals an even longer layoff for Teixeira, who UFC president Dana White said was “100 percent” next for a 205-pound title shot.
Teixeira is coming off a third-round submission of Thiago Santos at UFC on ESPN 17 this past November, the Brazilian’s fifth consecutive triumph. Teixeira weighed in as an alternate for the UFC 259 main event and tipped the scales at 204.5 pounds last Friday.
« Previous Megan Anderson Releases Statement Following Loss to Amanda Nunes at UFC 259 Next The Bottom Line: A No-Win Situation »