Veteran mixed martial artist Cindy Dandois was reportedly attacked outside her home in Antwerp, Belgium, last Friday.
The former UFC, Bellator and Invicta Fighting Championships competitor told Het Laatste Nieuws that she was assaulted by an ex-boyfriend as a result of a recent breakup.
He had been threatening me for a while, but I didn’t take those threats seriously – until he stood at my door,” Dandois said.
According to the report, the alleged assailant surprised Dandois and then attacked her with a key, leaving her with cuts on her face that required seven stitches. Dandois also suffered a broken nose in the assault.
“I was not prepared for the attack at all,” Dandois said. “Before I knew it, I got slapped in the face. My nose is broken and crooked. There is also a deep cut that was stitched with seven stitches. It will be a scar for life. Hopefully, they will be able to straighten my nose again. I should have taken the threats seriously from the beginning, but always hoped that he would cool down. Not so. ”
Dandois posted pictures of her injuries on Facebook but did not mention the attack. The 35-year-old was forced to withdraw from a fight scheduled for this weekend as a result of her injuries. She is expected to compete on Dec. 15, however.
Dandois reportedly filed a police complaint against her attacker but is not pressing charges.
“I’d be very happy if he had to pay for the financial costs,” she said. “I don’t need to send him to prison. We are all people. We all make mistakes. I hope he sees them, pays for what he has done and picks up his life again. And leave me alone, of course … I am not a pathetic victim who cries in a corner. It’s tough, but I’m still here, fortunately. This could have ended differently.”
Dandois has compiled a 15-5 career mark while fighting for various organizations over the course of a career that began in 2009. She owns notable victories over the likes of Marloes Coenen, Megan Anderson and Jessamyn Duke, to name a few.