Wife Drops Restraining Order Case Against Ex-UFC Interim Champ Tony Ferguson

By Tristen Critchfield Apr 23, 2019


The restraining order case against Tony Ferguson has expired without going to a formal hearing.

Cristina Ferguson filed a restraining order against her husband in March following a series of events in which the UFC lightweight demonstrated disturbing behavior and made threatening remarks. Incident reports indicated that at no point was Ferguson violent, nor was his wife concerned for her or their child’s safety.

"The current legal proceedings are a part of a process to ensure that Tony will receive the help necessary to continue being the best possible, as well as to pursue his passion and career as a UFC champion fighter,” Cristina Ferguson said in a statement shortly after filing the restraining order.

According to a report from MMAFighting.com, a hearing scheduled for April 5 did not take place at the request of Cristina Ferguson’s legal team, and as a result, the restraining order is no longer active.

“There are no matters pending in this case,” Cristina Ferguson’s attorney Jeffery L. Heath wrote to MMAFighting in an email.

Tony Ferguson was never arrested or charge with a crime in the case, although incident reports detailed numerous instances of unusual behavior. Those reports included he and his wife getting into arguments, Ferguson's father asking him to leave his house, Ferguson staying up for days at a time and smashing their fire place, Ferguson claiming there was a microchip implanted in his leg and a man living in his walls, and splashing his wife with "holy water." At one time, he also called the police to report that his wife had been missing overnight.

Shortly after the order was filed, Tony Ferguson issued a statement on social media announcing that “UFC and management are helping me find the help we need.” More recently, UFC President Dana White said he wanted the fighter to be evaluated by promotion doctors before announcing any fight plans. Ferguson was initially expected to face Max Holloway at UFC 236 before he turned the bout down and was replaced by Dustin Poirier.

“El Cucuy” is a former UFC interim lightweight champion and has won his last 12 Octagon bouts. He last appeared at UFC 229 in October, when he defeated Anthony Pettis via technical knockout.

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus
<h2>Fight Finder</h2>